Thursday, May 20, 2004

Syndicate This Site

Some thoughts on RSS ... News aggregators have added a new dimension to the way I obtain information. Blogs have exploded within the last two years. There are so many great weblogs and writers out there, it's hard to keep track.

1. News aggregators are the new bookmarks. If you have a blog, you must have a RSS/XML/Atom feed. If you don't have a site feed, unless your site is really exceptional, chances are, I won't remember your site address and return. If you have a site feed, I can add it to my news aggregator and read it along with everything else.

2. Place the site feed link in a prominent location. Right now, there doesn't appear to be a consensus on the best place to put it. Left column, right column, top, bottom, middle ... it's hard to find sometimes. The orange XML button is an excellent idea. Right now, I'm leaning towards placing the site feed link at the top of the page, where it can be seen immediately. I find it less convenient when it's placed at the end of the left or right sidebar, where it's usually in the middle of a page and you have to scroll up and down and look for it.

By the way, you can add my site feed right here.