Wednesday, May 05, 2004

News Aggregators

I recently rediscovered the usefulness of news aggregators. I tried them before, wasn't impressed and didn't really see the need for it. The impetus for giving it another shot was keeping track of new software releases. Instead of manually checking the site to see if there were any updates, I wanted something that could check it for me and alert me to new changes. When I saw that Sharpreader could show a system tray pop-up alert a la MSN Messenger, I was intrigued.

Once you start using it and start adding RSS/XML feeds for your favorite sites, you'll be hooked. Having used it for a few days, I can safely say that a good news aggregator will change the way you "surf the web". I currently spend about 70% of my reading time in the news aggregator and only 30% using the regular browser.